PC*MILER Web Services Spreadsheets is an Add-in for Microsoft Excel that allows you to easily generate PC*MILER mileage and location information from within your spreadsheet program.
Unlike the traditional PC*MILER|Spreadsheets program, PC*MILER Web Services data is not saved locally on your computer or server. Data is called from the web as needed. Therefore, the application requires a reliable Internet connection.
To complete the installation you must enable the Add-in manually from within Excel. Be sure you have the API key you received when you purchased the application.
In this article:
Step 1: Download the Add-In
Download the Excel WebServices Add-In file from the e-mail you received. Once it is downloaded, right-click on the folder and choose Extract All… to unzip the contents of the file.
Step 2: Enable the Add-In
1. Open Excel.
2. Click on the Microsoft symbol in the upper left-hand corner of the screen, or click on the File menu.
3. In the list that opens, click on the Excel Options button at the bottom or the Options menu option.
4. In the dialog box that opens, in the left-hand column menu click on Add-ins.
5. In the right-hand side of the dialog box, there's a drop down menu next to Manage. Select Excel Add-ins if it is not already selected, then click the Go button to continue.
6. In the Add-Ins dialog box that opens, click Browse and navigate to the Excel WebServices Add-In folder that you downloaded. In the folder, click on the Excel WebServices Add-in.xlam file, then click OK.
8. In the Add-Ins dialog box, "Excel Webservices Add-In" will appear in the list of products with a check next to it. This confirms that the Add-In is activated.
9. Click OK to continue.
The remaining steps below are necessary only if you wish to turn off security warning messages for this spreadsheet.
10. Click on the Microsoft symbol in the upper left-hand corner of the screen, or click on the File menu.
11. In the list that opens, click on the Excel Options button at the bottom or the Options menu option.
12. In the dialog box that opens, in the left-hand column menu listing click on Trust Center. Then click on the Trust Center Settings button on the right.
13. Click on Trusted Locations in the left-hand column menu.
14. Check if the location of the Excel folder from Step 6 is in the list of trusted locations; if not, click Add New Location… .
15. Click Browse… and navigate to the location of the Excel folder.
16. Select “Subfolders of this location are also trusted”, then click OK.
17. In the Trust Center, check “Allow Trusted Locations on my network”, then click OK. The setup is now complete.
Optional: Enable Autoloading of Web Services Spreadsheets
To have Web Services Spreadsheets functions available without the manual Add-in process, copy the Excel WebServices Add-In.xlam file from the Excel WebServices Add-In folder in your PC*MILER installation to the Excel startup folder on your computer. The startup folder is called XLSTART and is located in the folder where Microsoft® Excel is installed.
For more information, see Excel Help under the search item “Startup folder”.
Step 3: Enter Your API Key
Once you have installed the add-in, you will need to enter the API key you received to start using PC*MILER Web Services Spreadsheets. To enter your key:
1. Choose any cell in your Excel spreadsheet and enter the function =SetAuthentication() and press <Enter>. (Both the opening and closing parantheses are required to call the function.)
2. A dialog will pop up where you can enter your API key and click OK to get started.
3. You will receive a message to confirm your key was accepted.
4. You are now ready to use the spreadsheets functions.
Optional: Review the Demo Files
For a quick introduction to PC*MILER Web Services Spreadsheets, please refer to the DEMO_NA.xlsx file shipped in the Excel Webservices Add-In folder. DEMO_NA.xlsx includes sample use cases for many of the Spreadsheets functions, including lane analysis, rate tables and batch trip distance calculation.
Disabling the Add-In
For Microsoft Office 2007:
Click the Microsoft Office button, click Excel Options, and then click Add-Ins. In the Manage pick list at the bottom of the window that opens, select Excel Add-Ins if it is not already selected. Then click “Go…” and remove the check next to “Excel Webservices Add-In”, and click OK.
For Microsoft Office 2010:
Click File then Options to open the Excel Options dialog. On the left, click Add-Ins. In the Manage pick list at the bottom of the window that opens, select Excel Add-Ins if it is not already selected. Then click “Go…” and remove the check next to “Excel Webservices Add-In”, and click OK.
The PC*MILER Web Services Spreadsheets functions are now removed. They will not be available the next time you start Excel.